Tuesday, May 22, 2007

When in Rome...

Hey yall! I am in Rome and will be leaving for Florence tomorrow at 730AM. Needless to say I will not be going out tonite! It has been so nice to be back here! The first time I was here, in 2000, it was sooo incredibly crowded and I missed seeing a lot of the sites. Yesterday we did a walking tour and saw the Pantheon, which was amazing! We also saw the Trevi Fountains, the Colloseum, Roman ruins, and much more in town. We went to see the Spanish steps in the evening and ate at this really great local restaurant that our tour guide, Austrid, suggested. It was really a great day! I am so glad to be back here and catch a lot of the things I missed the first go-around.

Today we walked thru St. Peters Basilica with a tour guide. He was really great and knew so many interesting things about the Vatican. At one point in the tour he showed us where people were walking around the top of the dome on walkways and the people looked like tiny dots. The proportions are really amazing and beautiful. I didnt realize that all of the artwork are done in mosaics instead of actual paint which means you can take pictures inside because the work lasts forever. We went to visit the Castle de'Saint Angelo and walked thru there for a long time with our tour guide. I think I got dehydrated and didnt feel well so I went back to the hotel while everyone else went inside the Sistine Chapel. I am really heartbroken that I have now come to Rome twice and missed the Sistine Chapel both times. I will be back right after I leave Florence for about a halfday so I am hoping to squeeze it in.

While I have really enjoyed the past week and a half of touring, I am over being a tourist and ready to stop living out of a suitcase. I cant wait to get to Florence and get settled.

We went out last night and the night before at this bar called the Drunken Ship and met some guys from Auburn. We told them how nice it was to see some Southern guys in short shorts and Polo shirts. I think it was refreshing for them to be around people who understood the meaning of 'yall.'

Anyway, I havent been able to look at this thing for long enough to figure out how to add pictures but I will in Florence. I hope everyone is doing well in the States and I love and miss yall bunches!

Talk to you all soon!

Lauren

PS--If you have been trying to call me, my phone is messed up. I am going to talk to the people tomorrow in Florence and try to get it straightened out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Lauren,
It was good to hear your voice tonight. You sound like you are having a great time. I'm glad you have found a good group of students to hang with. Ben wants pictures of Heidi! Rhode Island is a long way from Georgia or North Carolina. You are so funny; always looking out for your brothers.

I just saw a story on CNN about a guy "bagging" a wild hog that weighed 1051 pounds. It was huge! I have no idea what you do with it now.

Nick is at graduation tonight. He is working the AV equipment. I hope all goes well. It is a beautiful night; probably about 70. Nick goes on his mission trip next weekend. We'll keep you posted on that one.

It sounds like the place you are staying is nice. I bet that is a welcome relief after the last hostel. Nice having your own room.

Have a great time touring Florence tomorrow and be careful.
We love you and miss you too.
Mom, Dad, Ben and Nick